Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Geckos and highway robbery


I lived dangerously last night, slept with the door to the bedroom open. With the door open, it was cooler in the bedroom. I was up at 05:40, and I did not get eaten up by bugs.

As I was opening the curtains to take the moto out to get something for breakfast, the smallest gecko I have ever seen fell out of the curtains. This little guy was about one inch long. He scurried under the moto, I waited for a bit until he was on the far side of the moto before moving it. 


In addition to breakfast, I was looking for bananas, an offering for my shrine.

At 06:00 there are relatively few people in the street, and I rode through the market with relative ease. My customary banana stand was not open yet. The first bananas I found were at the far end of the market. I stopped to ask the price. They were 1,500 Real ($0.38). That's highway robbery my preferred stand only charges 1,000 ($0.25).

Ok, I will pay it; I did not see any other bananas in the market at this hour. The vendor tied a string, a strip of some plant. I looped the string around the holder on the moto and drove off to get waffles.



The waffle vendor was squatting in her usual place. There was a family squatting with her, enjoying breakfast. She had all three waffle irons going. She carefully managed the heat under the wood burners by pulling one burning stick out from beneath the griddle and putting it on the ground. When two waffles were done, she placed them in a small plastic sack. She refilled the griddles and I waited for my third waffle. When it was done, she popped it into the sack with the others and handed it to me. I handed her 1,000 real ($0.25) she gave me 100 real back--Waffles are 300 real ($0.08) each. I hung the small sack on the handlebar of the moto with the bananas and drove home.

I was going to have a real breakfast, waffles with coconut and fried eggs. I got the sack of eggs out of the refrigerator and pulled the hay out of the bag. It is just like an egg carton in the USA, protection for the eggs. These were the smallest eggs yet. Remember, Tom, don't go back to that egg seller.

There are only two things wrong with my apartment 1) the freezer is too small and 2) the frying pan is an old Teflon pan with most of the Teflon worn off. The eggs stuck.




 

Still, it was a delicious breakfast


No comments:

Post a Comment