Friday, April 2, 2010

My house in Kampong Cham

My home in Kampong Cham is a free-standing house with three- bedroom two-baths. It's very typical for Cambodia. It is made so you can drive your car in to the living room for its security (note the ramps). The front door is a metal gate that opens up the entire front wall. By the way, I don't have a car.

When I moved in, there was a small shrine in the living room. I added a Japanese cat that continually paws at the air. I now have incense to burn, so my shine is completely functional.


The interior of the house is light, spacious and clean. There is one bedroom on the ground floor behind the living room and another above that (behind the blue windows).



The kitchen is simple and utilitarian. The water in the tap looks and seems fine but everyone tells me not to drink or cook with it. That is why there is a 20 liter jug of bottled water on the counter. It looks like I have a bank vault in my kitchen. It is just the back door. I don't think there is any way that someone could break in through that door. It has three large dead-bolt locks



 

My office is a table on rollers and can be put under the stairs to save space. I pull the table out to work and then I can sit directly under the fan.

.


 

The best part is the landlord and his family. They're great! For ancestor's day, I received a try of food. From time to time I find fresh mangos or other fruit in the refrigerator. The landlord teaches sign language and has helped me with my Khmer language lessons.

1 comment:

  1. Your place looks wonderful, a great space to entertain friends and get to know your landlord's family. Is it standard in Lampong Cham to live in a garage, aka a house with little car ramps? First time I've seen such an embellishment for a house, anywhere!

    ReplyDelete