Tuesday, April 20, 2010

New Motor Scooter


After dreaded language class I went to KAPE to ask the administrative manager to help me purchase a motor scooter. There were two reasons for this. First my Khmer language is not good and more importantly, I cannot own the motorcycle, only Cambodians can own cars, motor scooters and houses. So KAPE will be the name on the title.

Purchasing the Honda motor scooter was relatively simple. It cost about $1,600 (€1,187). Most of the motor scooters in Cambodia are Honda Dreams which is what I purchased. Also, most of them are black. I purchased one in blue so I could find it in the line–up in parking. After purchasing it, I took it for a spin. I headed out on the open road. It was fun and more importantly cool. Riding a bicycle always had me sweating in 20 meters. The scooter by comparison was air conditioned.

I went about 10 kilometers east and then turned around. When I got home, I broke it in. I picked up the 20 liter water container and took it to a shop to purchase a new one. I put the jug on the back of the scooter like a real Cambodian. Well that is not completely accurate, Cambodians usually put much more on a scooter than a 20 liter jug see below.


 



Figure 1 An average load


 



Figure 2 The family going for an outing


 



Figure 3 Did we forget anything?


You can see my scooter's parking space. It looks like it is parked in the living room. Yes it is.



Figure 4 Parking space



Figure 5 Ready to go in the morning

1 comment: