Thursday, June 2, 2011

Trip to Vietnam


Anita and I decided to take two weeks traveling in Vietnam from Saigon to Hanoi because, the last time I was in Vietnam was over 35 years ago when I evacuated refugees just before the fall to the North.

We took the Mekong Express bus from Phnom Penh to Saigon. I thought I knew where the bus station was in Phnom Penh, I was wrong, luckily it was only 100 meters from where I thought it was.

Mekong Express is much nicer than either the Capital or Sorya local buses, it still has the annoying karaoke. The bus ride was about six hours with a ferry crossing and rest stop. On the ferry there were vendors selling fruit, the rest stop had a nice array for items.

The bus dropped us off near on the edge of a large park in central Saigon, we were not sure which side of the park we were on. We asked the bus attendant and she said "just a minute", then she got in a taxi and left. I guess we're on our own; we looked for street signs, they were a little scarce. We finally decided to take a taxi, we knew it was not far to the hotel. I would go into the details of how we got ripped off but suffice it to say we paid $20 for a $1 distance. When we went out the next day the door man gave us a list of reputable taxi companies.

No comments:

Post a Comment