Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sanitary conditions – not really


While walking though the Kandal market looking for a particular breakfast dish, noodle soup with green sauce, I must have seen 20 other things for breakfast but not what I was looking for.

I was getting hot and tired and turned toward an exit, along the narrow aisles I saw a young child moving chairs around for customers. This vendor happened to have what I was looking for; I looked at the conditions of the stall, and decided that the sanitary conditions were below my very low standards. I know it is hard to believe that I have standards after living in Cambodia for over a year, I do, they are very low but this stall did not measure up.

A little further on, I watched a boy back his moto out of the market, just about knocking over a person and a vendor's stand. As I made it to the street there was a vendor selling what I was looking for. She was dishing up from one of the pots on her bamboo yoke. I looked at this arrangement, not seeing a seat and the conditions of the water she was using to wash the dishes, I again decided to pass.
 I went home without breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment