Saturday, February 20, 2010

From Today


Today was another packing and cleaning day.

At 17:30 it was off to the tram, to the train to Zurich for a very early morning flight tomorrow to Birmingham where I have a weekend training course.

At the train station there was long line waiting to purchase tickets, so I used the automated ticket machine (There is an English option, thank god). It took about 100 punches on the screen, my right index finger is a bit shorter after this, but in the end I managed to purchase a ticket to Rumland, the train stop for the Holiday Inn Express. I'm on a roll; I will try to purchase the ticket from the airport back to Basel. Another long set of punches but I did it! The machine asked "from today" I punched yes. I assumed that means that the ticket is good today and into the future.

I made the 18:07 to the Zurich main train station, ate my three-sandwich dinner, and listened to the Economist.

When I arrived in Zurich, as I reached the bottom of the escalator, a train powered its way past me. It was the 19:07 train to Rumland. I now have half an hour to wait.

In the main station, I asked at Information if my return ticket is OK, because it said From Today. The lady in the blue train uniform looked at the ticket and said it was only good for today. I had that feeling. Could I exchange it? She pointed to a glassed-in area behind her.

In the ticket area the ticket agent confirmed that the ticket was only good today. She could not exchange it; I needed to try in another office at the other end of the station. Exchanging the ticket was easy, and I was back at the platform at 19:25.

The ride to Rumland was short, only four stops. As the train pulled into the station, it was raining, but I could see the Holiday Inn Express, great it will not be a long walk. I pulled up the hood on my coat and walked the kilometer to the hotel.

At reception, they said the first bus to the airport is at 05:00, with breakfast available from 04:00. WOW, I will get a bite before I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment