Saturday, February 20, 2010

Monks quarters


The training center must be a very old house or some type of orphanage, lots of small rooms. The upkeep has not great.

My room is on the second floor, above the large classrooms, and behind a set of double fire doors. As soon as I walked onto the floor, I saw three very basic toilet stalls, which reminded me think of a military barracks. I walked down the long gray corridor floored with a very worn carpet and opened the door to my room.

Aha, I thought, this is quarters for a monk. The room is small and Spartan. There was a small sink, an old Ikea cabinet for clothes, a chair, and small table. Behind the door is the bed which just fits in the small space.

When I unpacked, I opened the old cabinet to find a half dozen non matching hangers and an old gray wool blanket in the bottom and. I hung up my shirts, and then opened the cabinet again to put away socks. Hmm, there is no shelf. Ok, socks can stay in my back pack.

I went to the sink and turned the cold water knob. It spun freely like a top. I guess there's no water. Finally I pressed down on the faucets and that did work. When I pressed the faucet it starts running and keeps running for a minute or two. The faucets are also reversed from what I think of as normal, with hot on the right and cold on the left. I'll get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment