Saturday, February 6, 2010

Headed to Brussels


One thing I planned to do before going on a volunteer assignment was to go to the USA to visit my daughters and grand children. The way this assignment came up, it is making that trip a little rushed.

The train ride from Basel to Antwerp was uneventful but long. The train pulled into Luxemburg and we sat there for what seemed a long time. Then there was an announcement in French, we are having technical difficulties with the engine. This is much less worrying than when you are on a plane. We arrived in Brussels about 20 minutes late.

The lights in the car did not come on after the problem with the engine was fixed. So I moved to the next car, the light were on in that car. I sat across from an older lady with graying hair, I guess she was about 70. She had on black men's shoes with black and white ankle high socks. She did not have ankles, her legs were swollen and her caves and ankles were one. She was wearing a red sweatshirt and bright red glasses. She had on red, orange, pink pants that came about half way down here calves. She was knitting something out of white yarn.

What drew my attention to her when I sat down was the bright green IPod she had in her lap.

As we rolled through the Belgium country side, it was starting to get dark. The ground was covered with snow, the fog moving in and out trees rose out of the fog and snow with a magical tough. I wanted to get off and take some photos but this is a train not the car.


Before arriving in asked the conductor when the next train departed to Antwerp central station. He said it would be about 15 minutes after we arrived. Even in Brussels North station that is lots of time.

I stepped off the train and walked a meter or two. The conductor stepped off the train behind me. He shouted at me track 11. I thanked him and walked down the stairs and looked for track 11. I've got lots of time. I found track 11 and walked up to the train. There were people boarding. I looked up at the sign telling where and when the train was leaving. It was going to Antwerp Central and it was due to depart 1 minute ago. I had better get on NOW! I hopped on and turned to walk into the compartment and the train took off. That was almost Swiss precision.

I arrived in Antwerp and walked the kilometer to the hostel. I had not made a reservation. I think that was hoping that they would be full and I would have to find a real hotel. No such luck. There was lots of space. I took a bed in a room with three bunk beds and two single beds.

The room was quite warm when I moved in; there was one person already asleep at 21:00. I took the bed next to the window and the radiator. Now I am in charge of the heat. I turned the radiator almost off. A little later in the night, I found I had turned it down just a little too much. The thin blanket let in just a wee too much cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment