Thursday, March 18, 2010

Fan makes more noise than breeze


I did not sleep much last night, it was too hot. The fan was on high (setting of 1 in a range from 1 to 5). The fan is noisy and there is no cross ventilation.

Language class started at 08:00. The instructor is experienced amiable, friendly and experienced Cambodian language teacher. By 10:00, though, I was extremely depressed. Languages and I have never hit it off well, and today is no exception. When I left class at 12:00 I walked slowly home hoping to be run over by a large truck.

After lunch I went to the ANZ bank to open account. Simon, the volunteer I am replacing had recommended this bank; it is close to the bars on the river. It took some time but I finally found out that they could not open an account for me, because my visa is for three months only, and you must have a six-month visa there. I went to the other bank that the volunteer organization recommended, and after an hour and a half I have a bank account with some money in it.

Near the end of the paperwork, the lady helping me asked for my signature or something. I was not sure what she had said and asked her to repeat. "Signature or thumb prints, please." Now I understood, as I had noticed documents on the wall with thumb prints on them.

Most of the employees in the bank are young women. They looked to be between 18 and 30 years old. They are very similar in appearance, all with long straight hair, about 4' 6" tall and thin as pencils.

Went to dinner even though I was not hungry, I thought if I did not eat something I would be starved later. I ordered a dark beer. I am glad it was a Guiness-type, I drank it warm. There was ice on the table to pour the beer over (a standard custom here), it was chunks cut off of a large block (a meter long and 25 cm square. I could see a black piece of dirt in the ice, which really told me I should drink the beer warm.

I had fish with vegetables. The spices were sharp but not hot, I enjoyed the food.

About 19:30 I could hear fireworks being set off nearby. I thought I should go out and take a look, but not have the energy. Now what to do? I am tired, but it is only 20:15. I could go out and see if the streets have been rolled up yet. Cambodia gets up early and goes to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment