Sunday, April 3, 2011

Stone carving

My daughters might like to see the hand work done not far from my house. On street 178 just off of Nonrandom there are four or five stone carving shops. Yes, they start with a large or small block of stone and carve it into some very intricate designs. I have seen other locations along the highway to Siam Reap where they carve large items, about the size of an old Volkswagen.

Near my house the largest piece I have seen is about four feet tall, that's not small when you think it has been chiseled out of solid stone.

The carvers in Cambodia come by their talent from a long line of carvers. The Angkor complex has thousands of carvings. Below is only a very small sample.
The work is mostly done with traditional tools. It is slow work.

In addition to carving more artistic items they carve signs of all sizes from very large to signs for house numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment