Saturday, April 9, 2011

A unique pagoda


Some weeks ago I was reading about an area where Tonley Sap (the river) and the Mekong come together. It described a pagoda in the shape of a boat. About three weeks ago I walked around the area but did not see that pagoda. On the same trip I passed a kilometer long stretch of houses build on stilts on the edge Tonley Sap, it looked like several of these houses were being taken down.

Yesterday I took my moto out to look around and went to the same area. The kilometer stretch of houses along Tonley Sap has been cleared of houses. This is only on the river side of the dirt road.

There was an article in the paper some time ago about the lack clear ownership on land because of the lack of records during the Khmer Rouge time and the corruption forcing people from their land. I don't know if this was the case here.

I followed Tonley Sap a few kilometers beyond where I had gone the first time and I found the pagoda in the shape of a boat.


The pagoda area is raised and there steps up into the compound. I did not want to park my moto outside, so I decided to try to drive up the board going up the steps. The first was not very good. I backed off and luckily two young men helped me get it up the second time.



The pagoda is truly in the shape of a boat with a tree in the boat. Inside I found a monks robe and a piece of traditional cloth laying on the edge of the river that surrounded the pagoda. I did not see any monks but I did hear chanting, there were several people cleaning up.


No comments:

Post a Comment