Saturday, October 30, 2010

Apples

I was heading out to go shopping; I walked from my apartment toward my moto and on the way I saw a lady pushing a well used old bicycle with a large wicker basket on the back. The basket had dragon fruit and apples. The apples were medium to small in size and they looked fresh. Fruit was on my shopping list, I stopped and asked the price, $1.00 a kilo for apples, that's half the price in the market. They smelled very good. I asked for one kilo then upped my order to two kilos. I did not see a scale; I guess she just estimates the amount. She put the apples in a clear plastic sack, then she reached into a pocked and pulled out a very small round spring scale (like one you would use for weighting fish). She weighed the sack, added one apple and had exactly two kilos. 


As I walked toward my apartment I looked down at the bicycle's front tire. It was flat and appeared to have been that way for some time. She was using the bicycle as a carrier not as a means of transportation.

No comments:

Post a Comment