Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Driving in Phnom Penh

Over the past week I have been going to work early and leaving work late thereby missing rush hour traffic. Today I was tired and left work at 17:30 in the height of rush hour. When I pulled my moto on to the street I thought "Oh yes, I had forgotten how bad traffic is during rush hour."

Looking at the intersection 50 meters to my left, I thought, "Should I go around the block and try the intersection up the street?" I replied to myself "Self, it will be just as bad there."

I headed off to the intersection. I was lucky, as I approached the intersection a car was going my way and he blocked traffic. GREAT!

Traffic was normal, people coming at me on the right side, and one moto flying out of no where from my right front crossing the lane right in front of me.

I approached the light where I would turn left onto a main boulevard. As I was 100 meters from the intersection I watched a car going my way drive into the one coming lane and go all the way up the intersection. I thought "OK, he is in the left lane, he will most likely pull a Tom and make a quick left hand turn." So much for my assumption." He turned on his right blinker. He wanted to make a right hand turn from the left hand lane.

I had the pleasure of cutting him off.

No comments:

Post a Comment