Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Flatiron laundry

In Kampong Cham my landlord did my laundry, in Phnom Penh I take my laundry about 100 meters to a local family who does it.

The price seems a little high but so far everything in Phnom Penh seems a little higher than Kampong Cham. I have been spending about $3.00 a week at the laundry.

On my fist visit I noticed the husband ironing using an antique flatiron, one very much like my daughter Karen has. Karen's is used for decoration or a door stop, here it is still serving its intended purpose.

As I walked up the first day, the man had just finished ironing a shirt; he took the iron over to the charcoal burner which was just outside the door, picked up long tongs and placed two pieces of red hot charcoal into the iron, closed the top, locked it and went back to ironing.

The day I took the photo of the charcoal burner, his wife was cooking something on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment