Friday, March 18, 2011

Kitchen at the end of my alley

For breakfast I go to the restaurant just 50 meters down my alley. The family has turned the ground floor of their house into a restaurant. They server from about 06:00 to about 14:00, the menu is always the same, you guessed it rice, pork, eggs (fried or scrambled) and Cambodian coleslaw. The cost is 3,000 real ($0.75).

The ground floor of the house can seat about 50 people and there are four tables outside, so this is a big operation. They make the coleslaw in a large plastic container that must be 24 inches long, 12 inches deep and 14 inches wide. Some time ago, I watched as one of the daughters took large pieces of pork and sliced it into the thin strips that is cooked and served.

The clientele is mainly school age people come here for breakfast.

The first two months when I went for breakfast I did not pay attention to the kitchen. Wow it is an industrial strength kitchen. The kitchen is outside, where else would it be in Cambodia? There are six or seven charcoal burners with rice pots on all but one, which has pork bubbling away in oil. Smoke curls up into the hood which keeps it away from the restaurant.

Pork is bubbling away right next to several rice pots.

In the photo below, the rice pot on the left is empty, in the following photo the caked rice has been popped out and is being dried. I have asked several people what the rice is popped out and dried but I have never heard a good esplanation. 


Got to run, time for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment