Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Apartment hunting


A young Cambodian man picked me up at 09:00 to look at apartments. The first apartment was in a reasonable neighborhood. The stairway up to the apartment had a locked metal bar door at the bottom and a metal barred door on the apartment. For $250 a month it seemed ok. It had a northern exposure and on the first floor with air conditioning, an old washing machine and refrigerator. A big plus is that the landlord speaks English.

Furnished apartments in Phnom Penh are much less furnished than in Kampong Cham, my landlord in Kampong Cham spoiled me.

As we drove to the second apartment, I thought the realtor was talking to me, his hands were on the handlebars and he was speaking. He was speaking in Khmer, because of this I thought" Is he talking to himself?"

We arrived at the next apartment which overlooked the main boulevard in the center of town. The view was very nice the flights of stairs that I had to climb to get there were not so nice. The entrance was too dark and the exposure was to the south and east, it would be to hot in the dry season.

The next apartment was three blocks from my office, I could walk to work. The apartment was nice, predominantly facing north, but the south side of the apartment is open to the sun which would make the kitchen side hot in the dry season.

As we drove to the last and worst to the four I watched the realtor make a phone call, shove the phone up to his ear under his helmet, instant "hands free". Now I know he was talking on the phone not to himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment