Thursday, January 13, 2011

I admit it: I’m a REAL Wimp

I road my moto across the Mekong to a little bar where there was a going away party for a friend from work. On the way home I knew I would go close to the Szechwan restaurant so I decided to stop in for dinner.

As usual I ordered from the picture book, I chose a deep-fried whole fish. The waitress brought the setup, this time instead of a bowl of chilies and a bowl of garlic I got one bowl with half and half. I guess they know I am a wimp when it comes to chili. The setup included a small bowl of Kimchi. This one was not quite as hot as the last one but you could almost see the flames leaping from it. As I ate, I picked off as many of the chilies as I could. The small bowl with the chopsticks resting on it is what I picked out.

When my fish arrived, it was covered in a sweet and sour sauce which had small pieces of carrot and green pepper. I know from my last experience, the green peppers are just slightly less HOT than the red ones (these are not green bell pepper, in fact they make a jalapeño seem mild).

The fish was very good. They had sliced some of the meat off of the bones to help it cook quickly which made getting at the meat very easy. After eating the large pieces I worked to clean the little bits off of the skeleton. In doing this the little bits ended up in the sweet and sour sauce. The sauce had a very nice flavor but was very oily. Last time I was at the restaurant the family carried in six 20 liter cans of cooking oil. I guess the oil should have not been a surprise.

The little bowl in the foreground is an attestation to my WIMPNESS, it contains the peppers from the Kimchi and from the fish.

There, I've admitted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment