Monday, June 28, 2010

Beef vs. pork


Having spent a lot of time in Morocco, a Muslim country, I had not eaten pork for some time. Now in Cambodia, that is my meat of choice. In the last post, I mentioned how chicken is hacked up into pieces with bones in it, that is not an option.

Chicken is out, that leaves beef, fish and pork. Most of the fish in the Kampong Cham market are from the Mekong, to me they taste muddy. Another option down.

Cattle in Cambodia are only for meat, there is no dairy industry here. I have not been able to find out why. Take a look at the two cows below, which one looks like it would give a tender steak and which one would be a bit on the shoe leather side. Well, from my taste test of the Cambodian meat, is very similar to shoe leather. Even when sliced thin, it's tough, looking at the Cambodian cow, I think you can see why.



Figure 1 Swiss cow






Figure 2 Cambodian cow

Here is my preferred option. This one has a comfortable last ride.



Going to your end upside down must be very uncomfortable and quite embarrassing.



The little guys below are packed in like sardines and will meet the same end as the ones above.



Sweet and sour pork please!

1 comment:

  1. I agree pork looks best. Poor cow, I've never seen one so skinny. Defintley not a cow from Minnesota. Maybe a good time become a vegiterian? Julie

    ReplyDelete