Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sweeter than sweet


When living in Morocco, I learned to drink my mint tea with sugar, sweet like the locals; and I have always liked my desserts.

Last week, though, I discovered something that was too sweet, even for me.

On the way back to Kampong Cham after photographing a school's celebration for International Children's Day, we were invited for lunch at the home of the father of a KAPE colleague, Marry. It was a great meal.



We had fish, eggs, some meat I did not recognize, with a great fish sauce and of course, rice. The meal was served on the floor. As good as everything was, there was no dessert afterward.

Marry wanted something sweet for desert. So, after leaving her father's house we stopped at a small restaurant for coffee with milk. I must explain this a little. In Cambodia, cows are used only for meat, they are not dairy animals. Most milk available here is in the form of canned, sweetened condensed milk. Coffee in most places is Nescafe instant coffee. Marry had coffee with condensed milk, the driver had just coffee. Because I do not drink coffee I got condensed milk with sugar. What a hit of sweet.

Luckily there was a lot of ice in the sack of milk. I could let the ice melt, which diluted the sugar somewhat.



Figure 1 Marry - coffee with milk



Figure 2 a sack of coffee



Figure 3 Our driver

No comments:

Post a Comment