Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Camera care - sensor cleaning

Single lens reflex digital cameras can get dust on the sensor and that shows up on the photos. I was processing photos and found dust spots on the sensor of my Nikon D100. There are two ways to remove the dust, the easiest is to open up the camera and blow the dust off. After blowing it off with a bulb blower I took a photo against a clean background and found that there were still spots.

The next method is to take a sensor cleaning solution on a delicate swab and delicately clean the sensor. If you scratch the sensor the camera is ruined. The sensor cleaning solution I had was so old that it did not evaporate. Now I have more than one or two spots on the sensor, a lot of spots and streaks. I need a new container of sensor cleaning fluid.

Trying to find sensor cleaning fluid in Phnom Penh is difficult, in fact impossible. I tried eight or nine photo shops and did not find any. I was on the way home and passed a pharmacy. I thought "sensor cleaning fluid is basically isopropyl alcohol". I wonder if the pharmacy has a small bottle of isopropyl alcohol. They did and it was 500 Real $0.12. Sensor cleaning fluid is normally very expensive.

Will it work? I put three drops on the swab. That was too much, but it got all but one spot off. Next time I used one drop and was very careful. The test showed it was clean. I was ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment