Thursday, December 23, 2010

Quite a day in Morocco, Switzerland and Cambodia – Thank you technology

At 06:00 in the morning my phone beeped, a text message from Switzerland. The message said PLEASE CALL ME. I put the time and all capitals together that this was not a social how-are-you-doing call. Several possible problems went through my head in a flash.

I turned on the computer and waited for it to start and more possible bad things went through my head. What in the world could it be, Anita is in Switzerland, her mother is in the USA, and I am in Cambodia what in the world was going on?

Still half asleep I called Anita on Skype. After a very quick hello, she asked if I had read an e-mail and I said no. She explained that the house we own together in Fez, Morocco had no electricity and no water because the government had come by and removed the meters.

It took me a moment to flush all the worst-case scenarios out of my cobweb-filled head before I realized this situation was not nearly as bad as those I had conjured up.

Every year just before Fez fills up for the Christmas tourist season the government goes around and try to shut down places presumed to be illegal guest houses. The problem is simple: our house in Fez must be occupied, to prevent burglaries. We have a friend who is restoring his own house in the medina (old city) staying in ours and paying utilities. We do not run a guest house, but once again we have been caught up in a seasonal drama.
Living area in our house in Fez click to enlarge
Ceiling and carved plaster click to enlarge
So we do not have electricity or water in the house and Anita is in Europe and I am in Cambodia. How do we handle this? Time to turn to technology! First is Skype to contact Anita and then two people in Fez. Then to e-mail to send messages to other friends to ask what is happening in Fez. Finally I turn to somewhat older technology, the cell phone, and call our friend who is staying in the house.
View into the sleeping salon click to enlarge
Detail of the 17th century carved plaster click to enlarge
After a few more calls and e-mails between continents and widely separated time zones, we find that the problem has been resolved, utilities are being restored to our house. I am amazed what can be done long distance with technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment