Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas in Cambodia

On Christmas day the high temperature was about 31 Celsius (88 Fahrenheit) so No Snow. I have spent Christmas in places where it was not winter in December (Thailand, Philippines and Texas) for me it doesn't seem like Christmas without cold and snow. In Cambodia it catches me off guard when someone tells me Merry Christmas; it is so hot Christmas seem six month away.

The only signs of Christmas are businesses that cater to foreigners, some banks, the western style supermarket and a few hotels. They have a Merry Christmas banner and some have a plastic garland in the shape of a Christmas tree on the inside of their front doors.

The best one is the gigantic Santa Claus standing in front of the computer store.

On Christmas Eve I was invited to a party at a friend's flat. It was a great party; most of the people were VSO volunteers. The flat was decorated with candles and Christmas lights. The table was piled high with goodies from local Cambodian treats to English puddings. After riding home and parking my moto I passed a parking attendant with a Santa's hat, it really looked out of place.

On Christmas day I awoke early and found my present to myself next to my computer, a new pair of reading glasses. For lunch I joined the group from last evening at a very nice Cambodian restaurant. Two of the women were showing off the fashions that they had made for the occasion. One woman said the dress (material and labor) cost $16.A real Christmas present at that price.

No comments:

Post a Comment