Saturday, December 11, 2010

To the Cambodian coast, Kampot

On Thanksgiving Thursday I took a bus to Kampot and Kep. I live about a kilometer from the Soyra bus station. This is a small bus station on a corner of an average street near the Oruseey market, so the area is always crowded. There is not much of a waiting room, it is on the sidewalk outside of the building.

It is about a five hour trip to Kep and Kampot to towns on the Gulf of Siam. On the way the bus has one bus stop. That day the street in front of the bus stop is under construction to things are a little more dusty than normal. This bus stop is similar to the one on the way to Kampong Cham. There are some differences; this one does not have as much room so there are more small vendors carrying there wears. You can see the girl carrying sacks of cut up mango on a stick.

The stop after the rest stop is Kep a very small village on the coast, which was my destination. I usually go to sleep on a moving conveyance. This time was no exception, when I woke I saw a sign for the Kep Lodge, where I had planned to stay. I noticed there were very few people on the bus. The bus kept on going, and there was a sing for Kampot, the next town down the road. Hummm? After a few minutes I got up and asked the driver "Kep" he looked surprised and pointed behind us, I then said "Kampot" he pointed ahead. OK, I guess I will go to Kampot.

Kampot is a slightly larger village about four kilometers from the gulf on a small river. It turned out I made the right choice. There were five or six restaurants and guest houses in Kampot. Kep has a very small selection of upscale guest houses but that is about it.

This was a good time to rest and relax. I watched the sun set and walked around taking photos of some of the vendors.

The next morning I found a moto to take me to Kep.

No comments:

Post a Comment