Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Orussey Market introduction

For a photo walk I decided to go west young man, I crossed Monivong, a main north south avenue and headed toward the Orussey market. The Orussey market appears to be left over from the French colonial period, it is a well worn six story building with parking on top. From the parking I could see the surrounding area the streets are packed with vendors selling everything from silk to sows ears and sweets.

As I was walking around the market, I saw a lady sitting on the ground, she had a tin try of fish about a meter square, the tray was supported on four bricks. Some of the fish were in pieces. Two fish were still alive. I assume looking at their friend's demise the remaining two were trying to wriggle over the edge. The old woman picked up a large club and whacked one of the fish over the head. The fish continued to wriggle, the tray bent when the woman hit the fish, not really killing it. She attacked the fish several times. I finally moved on, the she and the fish were still going at it.

Across the alley there was a small eel on the ground, I assume it had escaped from a different vendor; now where was it going to go? There was a drain not far away but it would have to cross the foot path. I don't know if it made it to safety.

I was in the market just after noon, things were closing down. I saw a butcher with a rather unique way of keeping the flies off of the meat. She had put a sleeveless t-shirt over the meat hanging on several hooks. 
Whatever works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment