Sunday, December 19, 2010

Metal chopsticks are tricky

My colleague Rishi recommended a Korean restaurant about a kilometer from work. He told me that for $5.00 there was a lot of food. I didn't have breakfast and thought it would be a good day to check it out.

I drove up and looked at the building "this does not look like a restaurant", but it was. There must be other businesses and a home in the house. The restaurant room is small with three tables. In this restaurant silverware, chopsticks and spoons are in a small wooden box, not standing in hot water like in a Cambodian restaurant. The waitress brought me a cold wet towel and a plastic bottle with water that had been in the freezer.

The menu had a smattering of English and pictures, I pointed to a rib looking meat dish. I was not sure of the meat, pork, beef or dog.

Shortly the appetizer dishes arrived, an array of kimchi looking dishes. I opened the wooden box and selected a pair of metal chopsticks. I have used bamboo and plastic chopsticks but never metal ones. These were less than 1/3 the diameter of any others I have used. It took some getting accustomed to. I could not hold them the way I normally hold plastic or bamboo chopsticks. After five minutes was up and eating.

The appetizers were very good with the exception of the tofu, it was a bit oily and the tofu did not have much flavor.

As I was savoring the appetizers the main dish arrived. A small plate of ribs with meat attached and a plate of salad, cabbage, lettuce and long green peppers. I was still enjoying the appetizers as the waitress departed, few minutes later she came back with a gigantic industrial kitchen scissor. She cut the meat off of the bones and snipped it into large bite size pieces. That was great; my only tools were metal chopsticks and a spoon.

The meat, still not sure of the origin, was very tasty and tender, so that leaves out beef, I know it was not chicken or fish so that leave pork or dog. The ribs were too small for a large hog it is possible that it was a piglet's.

I will definitely be going back to try other dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment