Sunday, August 22, 2010

Almost


Some weeks ago a friend wrote that she liked my blog. She said she felt like she was on the back of my moto with me. She is lucky she was not riding with me this evening.

I am going to Phnom Penh tomorrow and needed cash. I went to the bank, which is about one kilometer away. I arrived at the bank at 18:20 and the ATM was out of order until 18:30. I just sat there waiting. There was no need to go home and come back. I did a withdrawal to cover my trip and left.

I started up my moto and turned on the light. There is a large hole on the side of the road just outside the bank parking lot. As I carefully working my way around the hole, still riding on the shoulder, a car suddenly appeared, taking up the right lane and moving onto the shoulder. Yikes! There was no time for me to react. He missed me by inches.

I drove home very carefully. By the time I reached the house, I had calmed down.

Despite the fact that Cambodia does not register on the world's top ten danger zones for drivers, its roads are clearly not for the fainthearted. I agree with Traveling Mark that bigger rules the road here.

No comments:

Post a Comment