Friday, August 20, 2010

Moto trip to Wat Han Chey


Wat Han Chey is about 20 km north of Kampong Cham along the Mekong. The VSO volunteers took a boat trip there about three months ago. I thought it would be fun to ride my moto this time.

The road winds north out of Kampong Cham and is close to the Mekong for most of the trip. After about five kilometers, I began to see roadside stands selling lotus flower pods. I stopped at one stand to take a photo and while I was focusing, the family came out to sell me some. OK, I asked how much? I ended up getting a bag full for 1,000 real. That's about $0.25 for 10 lotus pods.

The lady selling the pods offered me one of the seeds. I popped it into my mouth. When she started waving her hands wildly, I realized that I had done something wrong, and spit out the seed. She then showed me how to peel the seed and just eat the inside. I did not find the seeds to have much flavor.



The man across the road from the lotus pod vendors wanted to show off his cow.



A few kilometers further along, I stopped to shoot more photos of Cambodian transportation. The ox cart is still a major means of transport here.




 



Just after the ox cart went by, this moto / bus came by fully loaded.



It is a steep climb up from the river to Wat Han Chey. Half way up, there is a cemetery.



As I was leaving the cemetery, a young boy came whizzing by on a bicycle. He looked like he was enjoying the ride.



Wat Han Chey has a breathtaking view of the Mekong.


No comments:

Post a Comment