Thursday, August 19, 2010

Shoe Shine


I was having lunch at a restaurant today here in Kampong Cham, and I watched the shoeshine boy. His method is a little different to what I have observed in the US or Morocco.

In the USA, the only place I have seen shoes being shined is the airport, something I've not tried.

In Fez, men and boys carry small wooden boxes and stools through the medina offering a shine. You can get yours seated or standing. You place your foot on the shoe shaped part of the box and the man or boy goes to work, shining your shoes on your feet. It takes just a few minutes and usually cost me less than $1.00.

In Cambodia, the shoeshine boy did not have a box, but a tattered blue plastic sack with his brush and shoe polish. He walked through the restaurant looking at everyone's feet. When he found a customer, he left his flip flops for the man to use while his shoes were being shined.

The actual shine appeared to use very little polish, just enough to do the job. I assume polish is expensive here. When the shine was done, the boy returned the shoes to their owner, put them on the floor, and helped the customer put them on. Then he took his flip flops and continued about his work.

I wear sandals so I don't know what a shine costs here.

No comments:

Post a Comment