Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Take-away Cambodian style


Language is not something I do well. I have learned a few words of Khmer, but not enough to hold a conversation or order dinner.

Tonight I went to my favorite restaurant for dinner. I wanted to have sweet and sour fish, a dish I have enjoyed there many times. Sometimes it comes with three little fish and sometimes it comes with one large fish. I prefer it with the one large fish, since there are not as many bones to mess with. I tried to ask the waitress if they had the one large fish or three little fish and place my order. The waitress left to the kitchen, I sat at a table because I was planning on eating it at the restaurant.

When the waitress came back she handed me a plastic sack with four Styrofoam cartons. OK, what had I ordered? Evidently, take-away, with one order of sweet and sour fish (two medium size fish) and three orders of rice. Not quite what I had expected but it was very good. I gave most of the rice to my landlord.

How many times when you get take-away, does the sauce drip on the car seat. Here, the sauce was in a plastic bag which prevents it from spilling.



When I arrived home, I had all of the sauce the two fish and the rice was still hot. It was a great meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment