Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Shower Cambodian Style


Earlier this evening, it rained hard, so hard that I could not hear a podcast. It sounded as if I were at the bottom of a large waterfall.

My landlord's 9-year-old son came running out buck naked. He stood briefly under the drainpipe from the roof, a heavy stream of water, and then ran back to his house.

About an hour later after the rain had slowed down somewhat, my landlord came out wrapped in his karma (traditional Cambodian cloth) wrapper, about to rinse off under the same drain. When I saw that I took him a bar of soap and some shampoo. He thanked me and lathered up. The water is a free shower. After he had showered and rinsed off, he returned the soap and shampoo and went home.

I thought of giving it a try. Perhaps another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment