Friday, May 7, 2010

Breakfast


The alarm went off at 05:45, I decided not to get up right then. I didn't sleep well, it was hot. I was being eaten alive by bugs so I put on a t-shirt, which made me even hotter. I didn't have the luxury of lying in bed for long, my landlord knocked on the window. He made a motion toward the front of the house and was saying something that I did not understand. Ok, he wants me to open the front door and let him in. No that was not it.

When I came home last night after dinner I had forgotten to close and lock the front gate. I know what happened; I pushed the moto up to the front door, unlocked the door and pushed the moto in. Then went inside and forgot to close and lock the gate. The reason it was a big thing, the gate was left wide open, almost inviting people in.

My landlord cleaned the little cups in the shrine and put in fresh water and lights incense. I did not have an offering. I told him that I could go out and get one after breakfast.

For breakfast I decided to have something different and a bit decadent: "pancakes". I purchased a box of pancake mix and a very small jar of strawberry jam in Phnom Penh. They cost about $8.00. I did not purchase syrup and I don't have butter.

The first pancake stuck a bit because the pan was too hot. As I was pouring the second one into the pan, there was a knock on the kitchen door. What did my landlord want? He had brought an offering for my shrine. OK.

He was intrigued by my pancakes. The second pancake was ok. The third one was about half the size of the first two. When I tried get it out of the pan, I chased it with the wooden flipper and could not get it on the flipper. My landlord got a good laugh.

The pancakes were ok but not great. I really miss butter and syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment