Friday, May 14, 2010

Shrine Maintenance


Part of a fully furnished house in Cambodia is a Buddhist shrine. My house also has a calendar from my bank (in Khmer and English) that gives holidays and the days that you should make an offering.



My shrine has an addition that is not common in Cambodia, a Swiss bear. Mine is a Basel Fasnacht bear.



On days that an offering should be made my landlord comes over, cleans out the little cups, fills them with water, puts the food offering in front of the shrine and lights the incense. The offerings in this photo were pineapple and dragon fruit.

I felt energetic on Wednesday, so I went out and purchased an offering, placed it in front of the shrine and lit the incense. The next day my landlord brought me bananas for the shrine. I had made my offering on the wrong day. Oh well, an extra one can't hurt.

The landlord usually provides fairly green bananas, which are just right for eating the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment