Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pancakes 2


When I put away my pancake mix last week, I sealed it up tight in a new Zip Lock bag, and then put the zipped bag into the box. The real thing, with two zips. That will keep the bugs out.

Yesterday I purchased a small jar of honey and a yellow container of what I hoped was margarine (I had no idea, really, because the writing on the container was in Khmer). I looked for syrup but couldn't find any.

This morning after running I was eager to make pancakes and top them with butter (margarine) and honey. I was really looking forward to this breakfast.

I got everything out and opened the box of pancake mix. OH NO! Ants! I was so sure the zip lock bag would keep them out. Here in Cambodia, people eat crickets and other bugs, so I suppose I shouldn't worry too much. The ants are very small.

I mixed up the batter, and couldn't see any ants in it. They had disappeared.

I got out a metal frying pan, this time a new one without a non-stick surface. I put in a little more oil than I needed for the first pancake but the pancake bubbled and it flipped easily, no sticking. A great start! In fact, all three turned out perfectly, golden brown, light and fluffy. One was a tiny bit crisped around the edges.

I opened the yellow container, and put some (yes, it's margarine) on each pancake, then spooned on the honey.

It was a good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment