Sunday, May 23, 2010

Waffles, pineapple and bananas


Markets in Kampong Cham open early, about 05:30 AM, and close at 11:00 AM. It's best to get there early before things are picked over. That works for me, because I go to work at 08:00, I can get to the market before work.

Today I needed bananas, pineapple and waffles so I went to the end of the market street where the waffle lady sits. All three of my needs were within 20 meters. I parked my moto and ordered three waffles. I would shop a bit and be right back.

I looked at the variety of vegetables, and had no idea what they were, although I did recognize eggplant. I looked at a box of rusted spray cans, and wondered what they were for. Then I went to the platform in front of a wood shack where a young woman sells pineapples ready-to-eat. She removes the outside, holds the pineapple in a thin plastic bag in her left hand and carefully cuts the eyes out with a sharp knife. You can see from the photograph the screw like pattern that she carves into the pineapple watching her; I could tell she has done this before.

I purchased three small pineapples, thinking one and a half for today and the rest for tomorrow. Three little pineapples were expensive, $1.00. Without being ready-to-eat they would be $0.75.

One down, two to go. At the stand next to the pineapples there was a bunch of bananas. I asked around, but no one was selling them. Across from the waffle vendor, there was another banana stand, and I asked the price for a bunch. 1,500 real, that's a high price (Barang, foreigner price) but I don't want to walk a long way into the market for just one bunch of bananas. I gave in and bought them.

I turned around and my waffles were ready.

Quick, easy and tasty, not to mention fresh.



No comments:

Post a Comment