Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bamboo Bridge is gone for this year




This morning I went to take a photo of the bamboo bridge with the water just about up to the road bed. As I came down the hill to the bridge, I felt almost sick, the bridge was gone. It washed away yesterday, and is now floating along the shore. This happens every year; when the water goes down it will be rebuilt. Still, I have been there to photograph it many times, and it felt like losing a friend.

In its place is a new ferry system. On its first morning, business was brisk.





While I was there, one ferry loaded and another arrived. A moto horn beeped while the moto was 100 meters from the dock. The driver was asking the ferry to wait. The moto came down the hill, splashed onto the dock and quickly loaded.



These Mekong ferries are open, catamaran style, made of two small wooden boats joined together with a deck. I would not want to be on one in a storm.

The bamboo bridge will be back when the water goes down in about 8 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment