Saturday, July 17, 2010

Family News - hatching announcement


Mom Gecko has hatched twins. I just spotted two wee geckos running along the ceiling. They are the smallest gecko I have seen. Now the family has five large geckos, three medium sized ones and three wee ones.

For some time, mom had been hanging out behind the wall calendar in the living room. I just about stuck myself to the ceiling one day when I turned the page to next month and she came running out from behind the calendar. A few days later I wanted to look back at last month and moved the page and out she came again. After interrupting her twice, she moved to the shroud where the fan is connected to the ceiling. From time to time I would see just her tail sticking out of the shroud.

Geckos are unique among lizards in their vocalizations, making chirping sounds in social interactions with other geckos. Every now and then I hear a bit of gecko conversation. If there was a special announcement for the hatching, though, I missed it; of course it could have happened while I was at work.

I was reading about their ability to climb. WOW, their toes have millions of special little hairs that allow them to climb (even better than Urs, my Swiss mountain guide) up smooth vertical walls and hang upside down on the ceiling.

Congratulations Gecko family.

1 comment: