Sunday, July 18, 2010

Warehouse buying, Cambodian style


In Europe, Morocco and Cambodia for the most part, people shop frequently and do not purchase in BULK like in the USA. There are very few Costco like stores in Europe and Morocco. There are none in Cambodia.

From time to time, being an American, I need to go to the store and really stock up on something; it may be food, Kleenex, post-it notes but I just need to be a bulk consumer. Just going to the market and purchasing two kilos of rice doesn't really fulfill this need. I have been using multi-use sauce-oil and Cambodian ketchup up rather quickly. Last week I was just about out of multi-use sauce-oil and went to a Cambodia wholesaler near my former language school. I rummaged through the stacks of dusty dirty boxes and found what I was looking for and Cambodian ketchup ready for bulk sale.

The bottles are not in a box, they are tied together



They are tied so tightly there is no clinking of glass.



After I purchased 12 bottles of sauce and, two other bottles of fish sauce, I realized I was on a moto and not in a car. Oh well, if Cambodians can transport a family of five on a moto, a few bottles is no big deal.



My moto looked like a small version of a James Bond, rocket-powered cycle.

I should have enough sauce to last me the 10 months I have left here.

No comments:

Post a Comment