Sunday, July 25, 2010

Life stories



I took a seat in front of the class room for the Khmer language class. I knew that my hearing would make learning a new language hard so I wanted to be close to the instructor. Because I sat directly in front of the instructor, I got to know the instructor a little more than most of the students.



Our language teacher Dara was about 10 years old when the Khmer Rouge came to power in Cambodia. During class, he told little bits and pieces of his life under the regime. One Saturday afternoon, I interviewed him about his life during that terrible time. I condensed my eight pages of transcribed notes down to a three-page article for the VSO newsletter.

After having learned what I have about Dara, as I meet people here I can't help but wonder what their stories are.

No comments:

Post a Comment