Sunday, July 4, 2010

Breakfast at Grandmother’s


This morning I went to a new breakfast location about 200 meters from my house. I have ridden by it several times and today I wanted a quick bite so I stopped in.



Figure 1 Restaurant in the off hours

The restaurant (term used loosely) is in front of a house, as you can see, not much to look at when it is not in business.




Figure 2 Grandmother serving up breakfast

The menu is short, only one item rice soup. You do have a choice of accents, fish, beef or pork. I prefer the fish, the beef and pork did not look very appetizing. The fish added flavor and was quite tasty, but there was only enough fish for three or four spoonfuls of soup. I added some of the pepper paste to give the remaining soup a little more flavor.



Figure 3 Rice soup on the stove

The soup is cooked up in a large pot on a wood and charcoal fire.



Figure 4 Soup seasoning, bread but a scissor?

What's the scissor for? You take the bread just above the scissor, break the two pieces apart and cut up each into your soup. I didn't know about the scissor and ripped mine up. That left my fingers quite greasy. Now I know why there's a scissor.



In Cambodia paper napkins are very small about the size of two squares of toilet paper and extremely thin, you could read a newspaper through them if you could read Khmer. When people are done with them, they just throw them on the ground of floor if in a restaurant.

Where will breakfast be tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment