Saturday, July 31, 2010

Trip to Phnom Penh


On Sunday, I took a bus from Kampong Cham to Phnom Penh.

My landlord took me to the bus station on my moto, then rode it home and parked it in the living room. I didn't realize until later that I had forgotten-- EAR PLUGS. The last two buses I have been on, the entertainment systems have been broken (thank god). All of the buses have space for a TV above the rear view mirror in the front and speakers in the ceiling, spaced every two rows. When the systems work, the driver plays DVDs at full volume!



I had brought podcasts on my iPod Nano, but it was no competition for the monster sound system.

On the road, we saw the usual sights. Here are a few of them.



Figure 1 Yes, the moto is carrying the wooden frame for a double bed.





Figure 2 Juxtaposition of old and new is common in Cambodia



Figure 3 This is not a really big load.

About half way to Phnom Penh there is a rest stop, at a large building with a roof and no walls. Around 20 fruit and drink vendors work from small tables.
There are many options for lunch.



Figure 4 Kabob sandwiches



Figure 5 Small chickens

 
Figure 6 Spiders

Back on the road.



Figure 7 Riding on top of vehicles is common here.



The boy below was riding with his grandmother. Both of them were in one seat, with four large sacks on the floor in front of them.



It was nice to get off of the buss and into the clamor of the crowd, it was quieter than on the bus. In the middle of the night, I could have used my ear plugs again, there were two large dogs fighting not far away.
Next trip to Phnom Penh I will take my ear plugs.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful experience!But I sympathize for the noise. Did you try eating some spiders? The little boy's portrait is excellent. At first, I thought the bed frame on the motorcycle was an old piano!
    Yes, better carry some earplugs with you.

    ReplyDelete