Saturday, July 24, 2010

Rice without added protein


When I moved into my house in Kampong Cham, I was quite grateful that the landlord had stocked the shelves with Cambodian necessities: rice, Cambodia-style ketchup, multi-purpose sauce and cooking oil.. He had also provided an industrial strength rice cooker. I was all set.

The first time I used the rice cooker I spotted a bug in the rice. Oh well, this is Cambodia. No problem, I picked it out. It took me about a month and a half to use up the rice. But by the time I reached the last inch or so of rice in the container there were quite a few bugs there. I carefully picked them out thinking that they were not eating much. And the last time I used rice from the first batch, I had to rinse away a large number of bugs, not exactly a pleasant thing to do.

I asked around, "where can I purchase rice without bugs?" the answer was "America". Hmmm.

I went to the market and asked for rice without insects, pointing to the word insect in my English-Khmer dictionary. That did not work as I'd intended, the vendor pointed toward a stall where they sell crickets (insects).

Still wondering what to do, I purchased two kilos of rice and a large plastic jar with a lid. What if I keep the rice in here? When I got home I wondered if the plastic jar fit into the refrigerator. It did. I put the rice in the jar, tightened down the lid and stored it in the refrigerator.

I have been very happy with the results--I have not seen any bugs in the rice. They may be there in a dormant larval state, but what I don't see I don't worry about.

I am headed out to the market to purchase another two kilos of rice without added protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment